Now that we have obtained a machine certificate, we can install the Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) role. Do not attempt to install the RRAS role if you haven't obtained a machine certificate. You can install the RRAS role by following these steps:
- Open the Server Manager and select the Roles container. Click the Add Roles link.
- Windows will open the Add Roles wizard and display a bit of introductory text. Click Next to bypass this screen.
Vista VPN setup guide, part 2 Learn how to configure Windows Vista workstations in part 2 of our Vista VPN setup guide.
- The next screen displays a list of the available roles. Select the check box corresponding to the Network Policy and Access Services role and click Next.
- You will now see a screen introducing you to this role. Click Next.
- The following screen will ask you which specific components you want to install. Select the Routing and Remote Access Services check box. Windows will automatically select a couple of other check boxes. Click Next to continue.
- On the following screen, click the Install button. When the installation process completes, click the Close button.
Vista VPN setup guide, part 1
Set up a domain controller
Install DHCP services
Install Active Directory Certificate Services
Request a machine certificate
Install the Routing and Remote Access Service role
Configure the VPN server
Publish the Certificate Revocation List
Make the CRL accessible
Brien M. Posey, MCSE, is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for his work with Windows 2000 Server and IIS. Brien has served as the CIO for a nationwide chain of hospitals and was once in charge of IT security for Fort Knox. As a freelance technical writer he has written for Microsoft, TechTarget, CNET, ZDNet, MSD2D, Relevant Technologies and other technology companies. You can visit Brien's personal Web site at http://www.brienposey.com .