As you may recall, we assigned an SSL certificate
- While still connected through the VPN link, open Internet Explorer and enter the certificate authority's URL. This will typically be HTTP://the certificate authority's IP address/certserv. For example, it might look like this: http://192.168.0.1/certserv.
- When prompted, enter a set of administrative credentials.
- Internet Explorer will display the Microsoft Active Directory Certificate Services website. Click the Download a CA Certificate, Certificate Chain or CRL link.
- At this point, Windows may generate a security warning. If you receive a warning, click the Allow button.
- Click the Download CA Certificate link.
- Windows will now ask you if you want to open or save the file that you are downloading. Click the Save button.
- When prompted, enter a path to save the certificate to.
- When the download completes, click the Close button.
Vista VPN setup guide, part 2
Connect to the VPN server
Install the downloaded certificate
Configure the VPN connection to use SSL
Brien M. Posey, MCSE, is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for his work with Windows 2000 Server and IIS. Brien has served as the CIO for a nationwide chain of hospitals and was once in charge of IT security for Fort Knox. As a freelance technical writer he has written for Microsoft, TechTarget, CNET, ZDNet, MSD2D, Relevant Technologies and other technology companies. You can visit Brien's personal Web site at http://www.brienposey.com .