If you're working with a covered entity's customers on HIPAA security compliance, you are considered a "business associate" under the HITECH Act, and you are therefore subject to HIPAA compliance rules yourself.
Kevin McDonald, executive vice president and director of compliance practices at Alvaka Network, an Irvine, Calif.-based network, security and managed services consulting firm, is no stranger to this type of situation.
In this edition of Patrolling the Channel, McDonald talks about:
- His most challenging HIPAA requirement.
- The HIPAA-related technical controls he's seeing implmented most frequently.
- Why his fellow solution providers may be behind the eight ball.
Download for later:
- Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
- Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
More Patrolling the Channel podcasts:
- Michael Disabato recommends the security services that mesh well in a portfolio.
- Beth Cohen reviews her cloud computing security audit checklist.