The VMware Partner Network is a global channel partner program with benefits and support to provide VMware's virtualization and cloud technology. The network caters to a broad range of channel business companies, including value-added resellers (VARs), systems integrators, service providers, hosting providers and OEMs. Through the program, channel partners can access financial rewards, as well as resources such as training and certification programs and sales and marketing tools.
As a subsidiary of Dell Technologies, VMware runs the VMware Partner Network independently from other Dell-owned partner programs such as the Dell EMC Partner Program. At the 2018 Dell EMC Global Partner Summit, Dell executives said tighter alignment between the various Dell Technologies partner programs is in the works.Content Continues Below
The company plans to launch Dell Technologies Advantage, a framework that will enable cross-selling opportunities for partners by making it easier to do business across Dell's portfolio of businesses, including Dell EMC, VMware, Virtustream, Pivotal, Secureworks and RSA.
The VMware Partner Network uses a framework of three partnership models -- Resell, Services and Technology -- to engage different channel business types. Under each partnership model, the VMware programs are tailored to support partners' unique business requirements.
Resell: The Resell partnership includes four subprograms.
- A Solution Provider Program for partners whose primary business model is based on value-added reselling or services delivery.
- A Corporate Reseller Program, a designation assigned to large North American partners doing national and global business involving multiple technology areas.
- A VMware Education Resell Partner Program for partners that resell VMware training and certification offerings.
- Distribution, for authorized distributors that support partners on behalf of VMware and provide value-added services.
Within the Solution Provider Program, there are three membership levels: Professional, Enterprise and Premier. The benefits vary depending on the membership level, and they include access to rebate programs, online sales tools and the Partner Central channel partner portal.
- At the Professional level, there are no solution competency or minimum revenue requirements, but there is a training requirement: one VMware Sales Professional (VSP)-certified staff member and one VMware Technical Solutions Professional (VTSP)-certified staff member. In the United States, there is a $495 annual fee.
- Enterprise-level partners must achieve one solution competency and have two staff members who have passed the VSP training track, two VTSP-certified staff members and two staff members who have completed the VMware Certified Professional (VCP) training track. Partners must also take ethics and compliance training and complete a due diligence questionnaire on request. The Enterprise-level membership carries a $2,495 annual fee for partners based in the U.S.
- Premier-level members, meanwhile, must achieve three solution competencies and annually sell $1 million in VMware products in the United States and other developed countries -- $500,000 in developing countries -- with a minimum of 10 transactions. Premier partners must also have four staff members who have completed the VSP training track, four VTSP-certified staff members and four VCP-certified staff members. Premier members in the U.S. must pay $4,995 annually to renew their membership.
Services: The Services partnership model engages VMware's ecosystem of service provider partners with two programs.
- A VMware Cloud Provider Program that targets companies that offer hosted services to third parties. These include infrastructure-as-a-service providers, cloud services providers, application services providers, internet service providers and platform-as-a-service providers.
- A VMware Authorized Training Centers program for select partners that can deliver VMware product training to IT organizations and other channel partners.
The VMware Cloud Provider Program also offers a model specifically for managed service providers (MSPs), enabling MSPs to combine VMware's software-as-a-service portfolio with their managed services offerings. The portfolio includes VMware Cloud on AWS, NSX SD-WAN by VeloCloud and Hybrid Cloud Extension. MSPs can also access service compliance certifications to bolster their vertical market specializations, according to VMware.
As with the Solution Provider Program described above, the VMware Cloud Provider Program is structured with three tiers: Professional, Enterprise and Premier. Each level has incremental benefits and requirements.
Technology: The Technology partnership provides programs to support technical integrations and business relationships with other technology companies. Partners can participate in four programs under the Technology partnership model.
- A Global Partner Alliance program that supports OEM integration relationships with hardware and software vendors.
- An Embedded OEM program for ISVs and hardware vendors that develop products that are integrated with VMware's.
- A Technology Alliance Partner program that provides software, hardware and storage vendors with tools to create joint products with VMware.
- An OEM Solution Provider program that offers resources and benefits to solution provider partners that do VMware OEM integrations.
VMware partners can earn solution competencies in a number of technology categories. Competencies demonstrate an advanced level of skill in selling, architecture and deployment. Additionally, they can help partners differentiate their businesses and qualify for VMware Partner Network benefits, according to VMware.
VMware currently offers solution competencies in business continuity, as a cloud provider, desktop as a service, desktop virtualization, hybrid cloud, hyper-converged infrastructure, management automation, management operations, management mobility, network virtualization, server virtualization, software-defined data center, software-defined wide-area network and VMware Cloud on AWS.
Partners can also earn VMware Master Services Competencies by demonstrating service delivery capabilities. Competencies include cloud management and automation, data center virtualization, desktop and mobility, and network virtualization. To earn them, partners must meet certification requirements and submit customer references.
VMware partners can receive training and certifications through the vendor's learning hub, Partner University.