The prep work
Before you install WSUS, you need to make sure your system is running the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and the Service Pack 1 version of the .NET Framework.
- BITS is a Windows component.
- You can install it by opening the server's Add/Remove Programs applet
and clicking the Add/Remove Windows Components button.
- When you see the list of Windows components, select the Application Server option and click the
- Select the Internet Information Server option and click Details. BITS will be one of the
installation choices on the resulting component list.
- You can download the .NET Framework component from Microsoft.
- After installing BITS and the .NET Framework, you must also install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.
WSUS deployment: Step-by-step guide
Step 2: Installing WSUS
Step 3: Configuring WSUS
Step 4: Configuring clients
Brien M. Posey, MCSE, is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for his work with Windows 2000 Server and IIS. Brien has served as the CIO for a nationwide chain of hospitals and was once in charge of IT security for Fort Knox. As a freelance technical writer he has written for Microsoft, TechTarget, CNET, ZDNet, MSD2D, Relevant Technologies and other technology companies. You can visit Brien's personal Web site at http://www.brienposey.com.
This tip originally appeared on SearchExchange.com.
This was first published in October 2006