The prep work
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
Before you install WSUS, you need to make sure your system is running the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and the Service Pack 1 version of the .NET Framework.
- BITS is a Windows component. You can install it by opening the server's Add/Remove Programs applet and clicking the Add/Remove Windows Components button.
- When you see the list of Windows components, select the Application Server option and click the Details button.
- Select the Internet Information Server option and click Details. BITS will be one of the installation choices on the resulting component list.
- You can download the .NET Framework component from Microsoft.
- After installing BITS and the .NET Framework, you must also install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.
WSUS deployment: Step-by-step guide
Step 2: Installing WSUS
Step 3: Configuring WSUS
Step 4: Configuring clients
Brien M. Posey, MCSE, is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for his work with Windows 2000 Server and IIS. Brien has served as the CIO for a nationwide chain of hospitals and was once in charge of IT security for Fort Knox. As a freelance technical writer he has written for Microsoft, TechTarget, CNET, ZDNet, MSD2D, Relevant Technologies and other technology companies. You can visit Brien's personal Web site at http://www.brienposey.com .
This tip originally appeared on SearchExchange.com.