- During the installation process, you will be asked whether you want to perform a typical or custom installation. Select the Custom Installation option.
- When Setup asks you what components you want to install, select Firewall Services, Advanced Logging, ISA Server Management, and Message Screener.
- Another part of the installation process that needs a little explaining is the portion that asks you for the internal network address range. Rather than entering an address range, click the 'Select Network Adapter' button. This will reveal the 'Select Network Adapter' dialog box.
- Deselect the 'Add the Following Private Ranges' checkbox, but select the 'Add Address Ranges Based on the Windows Routing Table' checkbox.
- Click OK, followed by Next.
- You will now see the 'Firewall Client Connection Settings' screen. Verify that the 'Allow Computers Running an Earlier Version of the Firewall Client Software to Connect' option is not selected.
- Click Next, followed by Install and Finish. ISA Server 2004 should now be installed.
How to use an ISA Server as an SMTP filter
Install the SMTP service
Configure the Internet Information Server
Install ISA Server 2004
Create an SMTP publishing rule
Create a DNS publishing rule
Configure the message screener
Change your DNS server's MX record
About the author
Brien M. Posey, MCSE, is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for his work with Windows 2000 Server and IIS. Brien has served as the CIO for a nationwide chain of hospitals and was once in charge of IT security for Fort Knox. As a freelance technical writer he has written for Microsoft, TechTarget, CNET, ZDNet, MSD2D, Relevant Technologies and other technology companies.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
This tip originally appeared on SearchSecurity.com.