Now that ISA Server is up and running, we have to create a couple of publishing rules. The first publishing rule that we have to create is the SMTP publishing rule.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
- Open the ISA Server management console.
- Right click on the Firewall Policy container and select New -> Server Publishing Rule. Windows will launch the Server Publishing Rule Wizard.
- Begin by entering a name for the rule. In this case, just call the rule 'SMTP.'
- Click Next. You will be prompted to enter the IP address of the server that you are publishing. Enter the IP address you assigned to the SMTP service in Step 2.
- Click Next. You will now be prompted to select a protocol. Select SMTP Server from the list of protocols and click Next.
- You will see the IP Addresses screen. Select the 'External' checkbox and click Next, followed by Finish. You will be returned to the main ISA Server console.
- Select the new rule and click Apply, followed by OK.
How to use an ISA Server as an SMTP filter
Install the SMTP service
Configure the Internet Information Server
Install ISA Server 2004
Create an SMTP publishing rule
Create a DNS publishing rule
Configure the message screener
Change your DNS server's MX record
About the author
Brien M. Posey, MCSE, is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for his work with Windows 2000 Server and IIS. Brien has served as the CIO for a nationwide chain of hospitals and was once in charge of IT security for Fort Knox. As a freelance technical writer he has written for Microsoft, TechTarget, CNET, ZDNet, MSD2D, Relevant Technologies and other technology companies.
This tip originally appeared on SearchSecurity.com.