Now that we have obtained a machine certificate, we can install the Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) role....
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Do not attempt to install the RRAS role if you haven't obtained a machine certificate. You can install the RRAS role by following these steps:
- Open the Server Manager and select the Roles container. Click the Add Roles link.
- Windows will open the Add Roles wizard and display a bit of introductory text. Click Next to bypass this screen.
Vista VPN setup guide, part 2 Learn how to configure Windows Vista workstations in part 2 of our Vista VPN setup guide.
- The next screen displays a list of the available roles. Select the check box corresponding to the Network Policy and Access Services role and click Next.
- You will now see a screen introducing you to this role. Click Next.
- The following screen will ask you which specific components you want to install. Select the Routing and Remote Access Services check box. Windows will automatically select a couple of other check boxes. Click Next to continue.
- On the following screen, click the Install button. When the installation process completes, click the Close button.
Vista VPN setup guide, part 1
Set up a domain controller
Install DHCP services
Install Active Directory Certificate Services
Request a machine certificate
Install the Routing and Remote Access Service role
Configure the VPN server
Publish the Certificate Revocation List
Make the CRL accessible
Brien M. Posey, MCSE, is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for his work with Windows 2000 Server and IIS. Brien has served as the CIO for a nationwide chain of hospitals and was once in charge of IT security for Fort Knox. As a freelance technical writer he has written for Microsoft, TechTarget, CNET, ZDNet, MSD2D, Relevant Technologies and other technology companies. You can visit Brien's personal Web site at http://www.brienposey.com .