Introduction to the Windows Vista Reseller Guide by Jonathan Hassell, author Windows Vista: Beyond the Manual.
With a new operating system release comes opportunities for everyone involved in the IT channel business. Generally the ecosystem surrounding new releases of Windows grows significantly as consumers and corporate types buy new systems, software and services to take advantage of new operating system features. So what should channel players be on the lookout for when it comes to Window's Vista? Some things come to mind.
- Windows Vista takes consumer computing to another level, offering better performance, simplified management and greater focus on using the computer as a hub for all types of media, including television, digital music, photo galleries and much more.
- Windows Vista doesn't represent a much greater investment than did previous versions of Windows. For instance, the price of Windows Vista Home Premium, the "sweet spot" edition for most consumer applications, rivals the cost of Windows XP Media Center Edition.
- Integrators targeting Windows Vista-based business solutions can take advantage of new system preparation and building tools, including Windows PE-based deployment tools and a faster set up process, as well as an improved OOBE (out-of-box experience).
- Software developers targeting Windows Vista as a platform should be aware of some application compatibility concerns, including a new security model, an upgraded version of Internet Explorer and improved user interface options with the Windows Vista Aero theme.
- Independent hardware vendors (IHVs) building systems designed to run Windows Vista can customize hardware configurations based around Windows Vista's modestly increased video and RAM requirements.
- Consultants need to familiarize themselves with the improvements Windows Vista offers and determine how best to monetize their expertise and knowledge of Vista's new features.
This Windows Vista Reseller Guide is a collection of hand-selected articles from the entire TechTarget network, consisting of expertise and guidance from authoritative sources on Windows Vista.