Firewalls are a basic commodity in the security market, but you may still come across the occasional customer that requires your assistance choosing the right one. This tip outlines five questions to ask when narrowing down which of the dozens of firewalls on the market will best suit your customers' needs.
How to choose a firewall
Five questions you should ask when choosing a firewall for your organization are:
- Why are you implementing a firewall?
- How will the firewall fit into your network topology?
- What type of traffic inspection do you need to perform?
- Is your organization better suited for an appliance or a software solution?
- What operating system is best suited for your requirements?
Learn more about the considerations that go into choosing a firewall.
Get more tips on building a firewall architecture.
This was first published in June 2007