Upgrading a Primary Site
After completing the prerequisites outlined in the previous sections, you are ready to upgrade your primary site.
You should also verify client push installation is disabled on your site prior to the upgrade. This will allow you more control over the client upgrade process. The "Upgrading SMS 2003 Clients" section of this chapter discusses upgrading clients.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Perform the following steps to upgrade your primary site:
- Launch an upgrade to Configuration Manager 2007 by choosing Install Configuration Manager 2007 from the splash screen of the installation media.
- You can access the splash screen by double-clicking splash.hta from the installation CD or other location where you have the installation files available.
- You can also run setup.exe directly from the SMSSETUPbin<processor architecture> directory on the installation media.
FIGURE 9.12 The Configuration Manager 2007 Setup Wizard welcome screen
FIGURE 9.13 The Configuration Manager 2007 Setup Wizard installation options
FIGURE 9.14 The Microsoft Software License Terms dialog box
FIGURE 9.15 The Updated Prerequisite Components dialog box
If you choose to upgrade ITMU at this point, the ITMU upgrade process prompts you to download the latest security updates catalog from the Web or supply an alternate location for the catalog, as shown in Figure 9.18.
Once you complete this dialog box and click Next, Setup finishes the ITMU upgrade and displays the Setup Complete dialog box, shown in Figure 9.19.
The upgraded ITMU can deliver patches to SMS 2003 clients in your ConfigMgr site. As the message in the dialog box in Figure 9.19 indicates, you will need to ensure that your clients have Microsoft Installer (MSI) 3.1 or later if you use ITMU to deliver updates for Microsoft Office or other Windows Installer--based updates to
FIGURE 9.16 The Setup Actions Status Monitoring dialog box
FIGURE 9.17 The ITMU Setup Wizard welcome dialog box
those clients. To provide continuity of service, you should plan to deploy the appro-priate MSI version to your clients before upgrading your site.
For Configuration Manager clients, you will need to install WSUS and complete the additional steps required for ConfigMgr software updates. Chapter 15 discusses software updates and patch management. The "Migrating WSUS to Configuration Manager" section of this chapter discusses migrating from standalone WSUS to ConfigMgr WSUS. Chapter 15 also discusses using ITMU to support SMS 2003 clients in your ConfigMgr environment.
FIGURE 9.18 The ITMU security updates catalog download dialog box
FIGURE 9.19 The ITMU Setup Complete dialog box
FIGURE 9.20 The completing Configuration Manager setup dialog box
Upgrading Secondary Sites
You can upgrade a secondary site after you upgrade its parent primary site. Before upgrading your secondary sites, run the prerequisite checker on the parent primary site server again -- this time check the All Secondary Sites box on the Installation Prerequisite Check Options page, previously displayed in Figure 9.2, to verify the sites meet all prerequisites for the Configuration Manager upgrade. The prerequisite checker displays any errors or warnings in the results screen and generates the log file c:ConfigMgrPrereq.log on the secondary site server.
To upgrade a secondary site, perform the following steps:
- Run the Upgrade Secondary Site Wizard from its parent site. One way to start the wizard is to open the Configuration Manager console, expand the tree control in the left pane to System Center Configuration Manager -> Site Database -> Site Management and then click the parent primary site's site code. Figure 9.21 shows this node of the Configuration Manager console, displaying Beaumont as a secondary site under the Houston primary site.
- Choose Upgrade Secondary Site from the Actions pane on the far right side of the console to launch the wizard. Figure 9.22 shows the Upgrade Secondary Site Wizard's Welcome screen.
- Clicking Next at the Welcome screen brings up the Secondary Sites page displayed in Figure 9.23. This page shows a list of secondary sites available for upgrade. Select the site(s) you wish to upgrade and click Next.
- The Installation Source Files page, displayed in Figure 9.24, allows you to choose whether to copy the required files from the parent site or point to a location on the local server. The option to use a local CD or installation point allows you to conserve network resources and reduces the time required for Setup to run. If you use a local copy of the installation media, you must copy the files to the SMSSetup folder in the root of one of the local drives. After indicating the location of the installation files, click Finish to complete the secondary site upgrade.
- The primary site server now makes an RPC connection to the secondary site server and installs the SMS_Bootstrap service, which copies the necessary files for Setup and launches the setup process. The bootstrap and setup processes create the c:SMS_BOOTSTRAP.log and c:ConfigMgrSetup.log files, respectively, on the sec-ondary site server. When the upgrade completes successfully, you should see entries similar to the following in the ConfigMgrSetup.log:
FIGURE 9.21 The Configuration Manager console focused on the parent primary site
SMS Setup full version is 4.00.5931.0000
Installing SMS Site Component Manager ...
FIGURE 9.22 The Upgrade Secondary Site Wizard's Welcome screen
Installing Site Component Manager under acct
Started Site Component Manager service
SMS Site Component Manager installation completed.
Done with service installation
Using default Timeout value.
Checking status of WinMgmt...
Verified that WinMgmt is running.
SMS Setup full version is 4.00.5931.0000
The upgrade will take several minutes to complete -- longer if you are copying files across a wide area network (WAN) link with limited available bandwidth. You can view the site properties in the ConfigMgr console to verify that the version is now 4.00.5931.000 (ConfigMgr 2007 RTM) or higher. You can also use the console to view the site status for any errors that may have occurred.
Printed with permission from Sams Publishing. Copyright 2009.
System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) 2007 Unleashed
by J Kerrie Meyler, Byron Holt and Greg Ramsey. For more information about this title and other similar books, please visit Sams Publishing.
Migrating to Configuration Manager 2007
SMS 2003 to System Center Configuration Manager 2007 migration
SMS 2003 to System Center Configuration Manager 2007 in-place upgrade
Upgrading to SQL Server 2005 and SC Configuration Manager 2007
Upgrading SMS 2003 sites to System Center Configuration Manager 2007
SMS 2003 to SC Configuration Manager 2007 post-upgrade considerations