By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
- IP networks often have higher latency than localized storage area networks (SANs). Fibre Channel (FC) networks were designed with a simple protocol and standards limit SAN size. This means that FC network latency is often measured in microseconds rather than milliseconds.
- We have more experience with FC SANs. iSCSI SAN storage is 5-10 years newer to market. It will have some growing pains.
- Mixing normal IP traffic with iSCSI storage traffic will degrade performance. In a nonprioritized or dedicated network, iSCSI packets must compete with email, Web and application traffic. The sensitive nature of block I/O requires that it be routed to its destination with the highest priority.
- Some operating systems still don't have native iSCSI SAN storage support. It is a cruel fact that legacy operating systems are still around. You can easily find NT 4.0, Novell Netware, AIX 4.3, Solaris 2.6 and HP/UX10.20 systems running important applications. None have iSCSI support.
- IP NICs put extra burden on server CPUs. In the world of 4 GHz processors, this may not be a big deal, but without TOE (TCP offload engines), the server CPU does all the work. On a Sun SPARC server, you will see 1-2 CPUs at 100% for each fully utilized Gigabit Ethernet port. FC host bus adapters (HBAs) do all that work for the server.
- iSCSI storage management tools are underdeveloped. This is really a function of iSCSI's newness to the market. Everybody is selling a storage resource management (SRM) tool to manage SAN storage, but few address iSCSI.
Dig Deeper on Storage Area Network (SAN)
Related Q&A from Brian Peterson
Resellers should look for these signs that indicate storage blade servers could be useful for a customer.continue reading
Storage blade server training is necessary for resellers who sell and support storage blade servers.continue reading
Assessing Fibre Channel (FC) versus iSCSI benefits depends on storage capacity. Read expert Brain Peterson's advice on deciding when a switch is ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.