Q

What are best practices for selling Software as a Service (SaaS)?

Learn the benefits of Software as a Service (Saas) for your customers and how you can create and sell services that best fit their business needs.

What are best practices for selling Software as a Service (SaaS) to my customers?

Software as a Service (SaaS) benefits from componentized services that have a low price point and offer many features

to customers who consume the services. A company planning on selling SaaS has to understand how to monetize its services. It has to maximize the number of usages of its service, either through the number of customers or the number of times its service is used. Price point should be considered along with features: with a certain number of customers, the price point can be much higher than a per-usage cost.

Sales resources have to be tailored towards customers. With a service focused on a large number of customers, traditional sales methods will not be cost effective. Frequently a free trial of the service works best for most customers. With a per-usage charge for a smaller number of customers using the service many times, the traditional sales methods may be appropriate.

Your sales force must keep an eye open for new features that can be added to the service. Those new features should maximize reuse. Developing services that fit 80% of the customer's requirements results in a greater return on investment than chasing the remaining 20% of the requirements.

This was first published in April 2008

Dig deeper on Systems Integration and Management

Pro+

Features

Enjoy the benefits of Pro+ membership, learn more and join.

Have a question for an expert?

Please add a title for your question

Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.

You will be able to add details on the next page.

0 comments

Oldest 

Forgot Password?

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an email containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

MicroscopeUK

SearchCloudProvider

SearchSecurity

SearchStorage

SearchNetworking

SearchCloudComputing

SearchConsumerization

SearchDataManagement

SearchBusinessAnalytics

Close