- Monitoring services
- Best practices analysis
Important monitoring services include the following:
- Intrusion detection -- SQL Injection or buffer overflow attacks like SQL Slammer.
- Unauthorized object access as part of the larger umbrella of Sarbanes Oxley compliance.
- Destructive DDL commands -- drop table statements.
- Account rights escalation – guest role account enabling, or adding a low privileged user account to the sysadmin role.
As new exploits are discovered, continuous threat analysis is an important service for a VAR to offer.
Best practices analysis can include the following:
- Checks for weak or no passwords.
- Scans to ensure that all accounts are running under the least privileges.
- Locking down of xp_cmdshell and other features which may expose your SQL Servers to exploits.
- Limiting use of the guest account and the sysadmin role.
Dig deeper on Database Management Products and Solutions
Related Q&A from Retired Expert - Hilary Cotter
SOA depicts how two services or programs can communicate with each other. Learn why SOA should catch the attention of service providers and the ...continue reading
Deciding whether to integrate Microsoft Office with SQL Server depends on your customers' server environment.continue reading
Compatibility problems might crop up in a migration from SQL Server to MySQL. Our DBA site expert Hilary Cotter helps you prepare for them.continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.